Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thank Goodness There Are No Photos

I was priviledged to be able to spend some quality time with some dear old friends lately. And THANK GOD there were no photos. I'm also proud to say that all of my clothing remained on my body. At least, I think so...some things are still a little fuzzy.

While the reason for the get together was not for a happy occasion, I think we all benefited from our time together.

My sweet, darling, very tall friend S stayed at my place for a few days during this time. And keep in mind that there is more than one night to this story, one that involves another very good friend, her kitchen, and her FOUR children dancing to Micheal Jackson. Or was it Men at Work? Or maybe Bonnie Tyler? And I think I tried to do the Moonwalk at one point.

But no pieces of clothing were lost! That I know of.

ANYHOW, many of my close friends - and I know this sounds weird - don't see each other for a few months (ok, like 24 months), but when we do see each other it's like peas and carrots and brussel sprouts all over again. Not that I like brussel sprouts, but you get the picture.

That's the type of friends I love, love, love. Because reality is that sometimes life, distance, whatever gets in the way. And it's nice to know that you have peeps who Have. Your. Back. Anytime, anywhere. And who will try to Moonwalk with you if you need them to.

Where was I? Right! So, S and I decide to head over to see our fantastic friend Country Girl, who was in town as well. Country Girl, the girl who never has a bad thing to say about anyone. The girl who is always positive, who says 'ROCK ON' at just the right times, who weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and can still drink an entire team of football players under the table.

BUT! Before we head over there, we went for dinner at the new Boston Pizza, where we had a wonderful waiter named Matt, who I thought was 12. After several discussions about being cougars (snicker snicker), S (after a beer) decides to ask him his age. Keep in mind this woman is happily married with three beautiful children.

S (trying to be all sneaky-like): Soooo Matt, how old are you?
Matt (aka, cute guy with red hair): Uhm, I'm 26.
Me: Wow! That means you're legal! I totally would have put you at, like, 12!
S (Giving me the sly eye): Oh! So that's not much younger than us. About 10 years.
Cute little Matt guy: Oh really? Because I totally would have put you guys at about 30.

HELLO BIG TIP! I almost - ALMOST! - lept over the table and kissed him. But Lord knows I need another misunderstood sexual advance like I need a hole in the head!

Just kidding. I swear to God that my bra just popped off! Just like that!

Stupid malfunctioning bras.

Anyhow, we wound up at Country Girls' parent's place with her adorable husband, her dude of a brother and his gorgeous fiancée, among others. The playlist went something like this:

  • More than a feeling (Boston)
  • What it takes (Aerosmith...twice. Maybe three times)
  • Dream on (Aerosmith...again)
  • Some sort of mish-mash mix-up of Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown
  • I Will Get By (Grateful Dead)
  • Why Can't This Be Love (Van Halen)
  • My Maria (Brooks and Dunn)
  • I think there MAY have been some Keith Urban? Maybe?
  • Some sort of folk stuff?

Things get kinda fuzzy after that, but I remember talking to some guy about SPANX and having muffin top...or something like that. S was so confused about everything I wanted to call her Chrissy (you know, like from Three's Company).

What I do remember is sitting in The Booth; the legendary old-style diner booth built by Country Girl's father so many years ago. This booth seriously belongs in the Smithsonian. It's been the scene of many a girl and guy chat; it's been the home of too many drunken high school/university nights to count; it has heard secrets the CIA probably doesn't even know about. Hell, it probably knows who shot Kennedy!

The Booth. It's a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment