So I've started walking home from work as much as I can, and the more I do, the more I realize that there is so much you can learn about people you've never met in a city that has so many people it resembles the chaotic buzzing of an ant colony.
So here's a tangent -> and yes, we're doing tangents because it's my blog and I'll tangent if I want to. Whenever I talk about walking, I always think of a story my sister told me about the time she was walking across the street in London. At least I think it was London. It's my tangent...I can make a mistake if I want to.
Anyhow, she was walking across the street, and there was this local street guy who everyone knew, and she's walking, and he looks up at her and yells loud as anything: "Look at her! SHE is WALKIN'!"
So, I am WALKIN' home (remember, I'm in the big city for a bit), and this girl is walking just behind me on her cell phone. Which is another thing about this city. OH MY GOD, people love their devices. Get on the transit, people are all hunched over on phones. People walking, on devices (danger danger by the way...I've witnessed a bunch of near near car misses), buying things, they're on devices. Get on the elevator - devices; driving...devices. Devices, devices, devices.
And the odd time I've had to interrupt these electronically-absorbed people, and they actually get annoyed! I've had to ask for directions a few times (I know...who, me? Get lost? Quelle girl rande surprise!) and it's like I've interrupted them taking the most satisfying poop they've ever had. Part surprise, part annoyance, all impatience.
Anyhow, so I'm WALKIN', and this girl is behind me, talking on her cell phone, and for SIX blocks I listen to this very annoyed person tell her friend about how she was dating these two guys she met online trying to figure out which one she liked better, and how one was more in friend zone, and how Mr Friend Zone turned out to be a friend of Mr Sexy Back. Well, Mr Friend Zone ended up telling Mr Sexy Back that she and he had hooked up, which she completely denied. Still, Mr Sexy Back didn't like the fact that she was double dipping, and cancelled their sleep over that weekend, and boy, is she pissed! And it's not HER fault, because nothing happened with Mr Friend Zone, and why is she getting punished for something that never happened? (I totally believe she tapped both of them.)
I tried to keep up with this chick for as long as possible, because the conversation was incredibly amusing. Which brings me to tangent #2....I obviously don't walk as fast as people here. I blame it on the fact that my mother smoked while she was pregnant with me, and my leg length paid for it.
The other amazing conversation I overheard was a man on the phone with his wife? Lover? Anyhow, he was very well put together. And the reason he was so put together was the reason for his phone call.
"Hi Baby, how was your day? I miss you too. I love you so much. I'm just going for my wax. Haha! You know I don't enjoy them being down there! (I kid you not, HE SAID THAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!). Turns out they have a spot for a facial, so I took it. I'll be home late. Oh my God! You're right across the street!"
Cue two people meeting on a street corner who obviously hadn't seen each other since that morning, mix in a little Basic Instinct, and you come out with two people seriously making out in public.
Oh, and on top of that, everyone is walking around in Canada Goose jackets. Canada Goose is made for serious, serious winter weather. It hasn't been below -8 since I've been here. Today it's 4 degrees. I haven't worn socks in almost 4 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment