I went to spend some time with my nieces last weekend. They’ll be moving to another city soon with their mom and dad, so I wanted to spend some quality time with them, making enough memories to last a lifetime….(cue sad music)
Well, we did make memories. Here are some of them.
*************
Scene: I’m getting dressed when my oldest niece walks in. Apparently she still doesn’t get the whole privacy thing. She catches a glimpse of my undies. And just when I think she’s going to tell me they are pretty (I wore my best ones!) she points at my butt and says:
“You have a biiig bum!”
Oh, ok. Thanks.
I turn around, and she runs up to my stomach.
Her: You have a biiiig belly!
Then she puts both hands on my belly and whispers: Is there a baby in there?
Me: To get pregnant you actually have to have sex.
Blank stare.This is when Attila drops in, screams loudly and destroys my card key for work.
Oh. My. Head.
***************
Later that night, I’m playing piano (badly…very, very badly), when the same niece runs up to me and says:
“Do you know any Beaver songs?”
Me: Beaver songs? Like ‘Land of the silverbirch, home of the beaver’? That song?
Her: No, Beaver songs!
Around this time Attila decides to see if someone left the bathroom doors open for her. Oops...I did. Next thing I know she's trying to get in the toilet to play with the automatic cleaner in the bowl. I pick her up, close the door and return to the piano.
My sister-in-law pipes up - She means Justin Bieber songs.
This kid is only three and a half, and she’s already in love with the Beebs? Double oh my head!
*******************
Fast forward to the next morning. Attila is being her usual self, singing and talking in her crib. I took over my oldest niece’s bed for the weekend, which is where I was at SEVEN IN THE MORNING when she decides to visit me. I’m not good in the mornings. Especially if it’s before 8 (ok, 9) and it’s the weekend.
Her: Auntie Redkap?
Me: Mmm…snarf
Her: Auntie Redkap I want to sleep with you.
Mr: Huh? Oh, ok sweetie-pie. Come here and let’s get you comfy. Don’t mind my big butt.
I’m just starting to drift off again when…
Her (whispering): Auntie Redkap?
Me: Mmmm?
Her (still whispering): Can you read me a story?
Me: How about we sleep for just a liiiittle bit longer, and then I’ll read you a story?
Her: OK.
Four minutes later…
Her: Auntie Redkap?
Me: Good Lord! I mean, yes, my love?
Her: Can we read a story now?
This went on for another 10 minutes, until I finally realized that I would never, ever win. Needless to say we all took a nap that afternoon. Right after Attila ran into a wall.
No comments:
Post a Comment