Monday, October 11, 2010

Heeeere's Fishy!

Sooo...after I went camping and my pesky brother-in-law dropped like a hundred-thousand blueberries in my car, some of my family rented a cabin in the near-woods and went away for the weekend. I say in the near-woods because it was about an hour or so out of town for me, around 6 or 7 hours for some other family and yet in the middle of some other cabins filled with people who were also trying to get the hell out of dodge. Oh, and who were hunters.

So, here's a funny story about my brother-in-law. Not my pesky brother-law, the other one. Who is just as pesky, but who makes the BEST martinis ever.

So anyways, he grew up in southern Ontario and, to my knowledge, has never been hunting. We were at the camp, and he decided to take his dog, old RC, for a walk. The way he told it, he came around a corner, and OH MY GOD, there was a BEAR! Not only that, but it was on its HIND LEGS! IN ATTACK MODE!

And he thought: I'm dead. I'm so dead. And so is my poor old dog. I'm sure somewhere in there he decided to give all of his treasures to his pesky sister-in-law, but I didn't press him on the subject. Especially after he admitted that after his near-death experience he realized that the bear was actually already dead and was hanging to bleed after the hunters had brought it back to camp.

Ok then.

So anyhow, while we were there, we went FISHING! I love fishing, except that I don't like putting bait on the hook and hate seeing the poor fishies grasping for breath when we put them on the holding line. Poor little fishies! Here they are, just out looking for some food to bring back to the family and next thing they know they are being dragged up, up, up and then stuck on a line where they stay all day! Oh dear...

Except they are sooo good in my tummy with a little lard or butter and pan fried! Yum, Yum!

My brother took us speckle tout fishing. And let me tell you something about my brother: he is the Fish Whisperer. Seriously, he could have his own show. He just has a sense of where the fish are.

So to get to these fish, he had to take us to a 'secret' fishing spot, which meant we needed to head down, like, eight different crazy bumpy dirt roads like this:




SERIOUSLY! WHERE IS THE ROAD? 'CAUSE I DON'T SEE ONE.


But, it was all worth it in the end. We ended up here:


I know, right?



It. Was. Beautiful. I don't think it gets any better than this.

But oh wait! It soooo does get better. Because my sister-in-law and I caught a BUNCH of fish:

Hello little fishies!

Ok, so we MAY have caught these because the guys were too busy putting the worms on the line for us to fish, and maybe one or three were caught by the guys, but whatever. The fact is the girls rocked, and caught WAY more fish than the guys did. It was such an amazing day.

And then we went back to the cabin where the guys cleaned the fish while we sat and drank beer. Which was even more awesome.

That is, until they cooked the fish for us. And then I fell over in such a delirious state that I woke up the next day covered in fish and empty beer bottles.

I love the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment