Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Professional

So the job that I do involves communications. That is, helping draft bulletins, presentations and press releases, providing support, advice and guidance on tools and products for internal use, that sort of thing.

Among my duties is to provide leadership during a crisis. This means I am the calm, cool and collected head during times when people are FREAKING OUT.

We had a snow storm today. Never mind that it was +17 yesterday. We got dumped with 20 cm of snow.

This 20 cm of snow caused a temporary blackout where I work. All the power went out. All the power went out while I was sitting in a room with three managers on a conference call with another two managers.

I did the only thing the calm, cool and collected head should do when the lights go out.

I screamed.

I screamed like a little girl.

Not good when you are supposed to be the one leading the team through a crisis.

I told my mother about this. This was her response:

You screamed???? Excuse me. I would have expected a few @#$*&^%!
Never mind you……….it is my birthday tomorrow and all this snowing and blowing is depressing me.


Riiight. I forgot. It's the Longest. Month. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment