Monday, September 5, 2011

Sister Love Part Deux (Or, I Cannot Chop)

So, where did I leave off...oh right! Kimchi.

Kimchi is a Korean dish; basically cabbage that has been left to ferment in a very spicy mixture. Traditionally, it is left to sit for days, sometimes weeks. It is hot, spicy and will put hair on your chest.

And it's delicious.

My sister and pesky-brother-in-law have been experimenting with Korean dishes, so I decided that since I was here, they should cook a Korean dinner for me! They agreed, and then told me I would be chopping all day long.

But I'm sick! I can't chop! Apparently that excuse doesn't fly around here.

There was a lot of chopping. We started with the kimchi since it had to sit for a while. We made the quick stuff - doesn't need to sit as long but will still put hair on your chest. Or at least, your belly. I've eaten a lot of kimchi.


What's missing in this photo is the cabbage. We had about 2 pounds of cabbage. But see that tomato?


That tomato has nothing to do with the recipe. But my sister wanted it in the photo so you can see her big, beautiful tomato! She raised that tomato from a seedling in her garden. There is another humongous one out in the greenhouse. Actually, it is so big I need to use caps. It is HUMONGOUS!


This is something called daikon. It's a type of radish. It looks like a penis. I held it and then I chopped it.

I really need to go out on a date.

Sorry, that was a tangent. Back to food.


We had to make this porridge-y stuff for the spicy kimchi sauce. It was glutenous rice flour or something, mixed with water. And it had the consistency of..well, of snot.


In the meantime, my pesky-brother-in-law started on the bulgogi - thinly cut marinated flank steak.


 You grill it, then you wrap it in a lettuce leaf with some other things and then you shove it in your mouth and OH MY GOODNESS IT IS HEAVEN ON EARTH!

Sorry, I get a little excited about food.

Can I talk about the chopping? Because there was a lot of it.


A hell of a lot of it.


Turns out I am not good at chopping.


See that? That's an entire pan of 'matchstick' potatoes. My sister made me re-chop them because they were not not thin enough or uniform enough. She picked up a piece while I was chopping and said "THIS is not a matchstick...and look! They're all uneven."

It made me drink.


No no, not scotch. I drink rum, remember?

I wish I could show you the after pictures, but sadly there are none. Because when the food was ready I turned into the Tazmanian Devil and ate it all. And then I had to take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment