Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vigilante Squirrel

Way back in April, I got this email from my sister:


In an effort to protect the seeds in my herb garden from all the little birdies that are hanging out in our new cedars, I plunked these two little bobbly things into the bed. They are made out of little colourful wooden parts with springs, so they flutter and bobble and wobble around - one shaped like some outrageous bug, and one shaped like a completely unrealistic butterfly. I thought they were doing the trick: I saw no evidence of tampering.
UNTIL S (my brother-in-law) looked out the window and casually announced that he didn't think they were doing any good in keeping the wildlife away.

When I looked out the window, I witnessed a huge grey squirrell tearing apart the bug. It seems he took great offence to our little friends, because they are completely inedible and yet he insisted on riping them apart. At this time, it appears the only damage to the seeds will be from the disturbance caused by the efforts of this large grey squirrel to rid the world of fake wooden, wobbly, bugs.

The butterfly took no time at all to kill. The bug seems to have put up a bit of a fight, but in the end, it never stood a chance. Pictures are included. Brace yourselves.

I love my backyard.
That squirrel better watch out, though.




Here is the photographic evidence she sent:

Mean Squirrel

Destroyed Bobbly Thing #1



Destroyed Bobbly Thing #2


It seems that, in addition to taking great offense to the bobbly-wobbly things, this squirrel has taken a significant disliking to my sister, my brother-in-law and the house itself. I know because I got this email (subject line: Stalker) sent to me today:


First there was the brutal attack on the little wobbly guardians stuck in the herb garden to keep the critters away (you will no doubt recall the disturbing photos I sent in the spring).

Then she went after our food supply, ripping things out of the vegetable garden until we were forced to protect it with a very ugly cloaking device.

She has consistently tried to terrorize the dog by climbing trees and poles and even our garage, then shrieking down at the poor dog with increasingly malicious taunts (lucky for her the dog is blind and deaf and so does not react to this verbal onslaught).

She is so bold as to have stood her ground when we have tried to confront her and force her out of our backyard. I have personally been reduced to running out there, arms flailing, shouting threats at her like a mad woman in my bare feet and slovenly house wear. She stands there calmly until I am two paces away from her. At that point she generally moves away a few feet and then turns and looks me directly in the eye.



She has no fear of me, it’s obvious. “C’mon,” her eye says (I can usually only see one at a time) “we both know you won’t hurt me.”

But now, she has cut the phone lines. I kid you not. We have had no phone or internet or fax for 2 days. She climbed the side of our house and ate through the phone line. The telephone repair tech had to replace it.


That bitch squirrel better watch her bushy behind because I am this close to writing her a strongly worded letter.


Did you get that, Squirrel? You just don't mess with my sister. Or else you get a Strongly Worded Letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment