Monday, January 11, 2010

So Hip it Hurts (…My Chances of Dating)

I found a house to rent up here. It's small, has a tiny yard, the smallest living room I have ever seen and until yesterday no outlet in the bathroom and a hole in the bedroom wall, but it's a house with a basement and a washer and a dryer. And TWO SINKS! Do you know how long it's been since I've had TWO SINKS in the kitchen? If you’re an apartment dweller, you know EXACTLY what I mean.

How can you be expected to clean up with only one sink? What if you’re doing the dishes and then you need to empty/drain something? Seriously.

Anyhow, the little house is right behind a bigger house – and by right behind I mean I could open my door, throw a jar of pickles and it would land right in their kitchen. Not that I would throw a jar of pickles. Olives, maybe.

So, I’ve been up to my eyeballs in paint for the past 2 days, trying to get things ready for (hopefully) an end-of-month move. I think once it’s all painted up, it’s gonna be cute. Cute as in liveable – not dollhouse cute. My mom said she could move in and be very happy there. I said over my dead body. She told me that could be arranged.

You just don’t mess with my momma.

I took my second ski lesson yesterday, and am happy to report that I still have no broken bones...yet. Two more to go. I’m a total rock star out there. Except it’s so cold that I'm growing hair on my face just to keep warm. Never a good look for a girl. Especially when it gets cold enough that the hair starts to freeze. Then I look like I need a shave.

According to my friend – who I’ll call Coco Chanel – when you’re on the hill (I’m so hip now…I call it ‘the hill’) it’s all about the outfit. So, outfit-wise…I think I did ok. I think she would have been ok with it. Not 100% blown-away, but happily surprised. I just happen to have a matching ski jacket/snow pant combo. Grey, so a neutral colour. But I do need to work on the hat and scarf situation. I had a red hat with a pom-pom.

Probably not the best choice, right? But at least it makes me visible.

See, for Coco, it’s all about the outfit. For RedKap, it’s all about not being killed. So I figure, the more colourful I am, the more visible I am, the more people will stay out of my way. Of course, one look at the frozen moustache on my face and they’ll run screaming.

Frozen moustaches. Good for not getting killed. Bad for dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment