…of Tai-Chi.
So, it’s been just over a month of bliss living at my mother’s, and other than a few bumps in the road (like, honestly…I know my crap is all over the place but I’m living in a GLORIFIED CLOSET! ON A SINGLE BED!), things have been going surprisingly smoothly. She’s only threatened my life twice, and I’ve learned to walk away from the knives. Seriously…they are RIGHT THERE.
So the other day, I see her wandering aimlessly in the kitchen. And given the size of the kitchen, ‘wandering’ is a term I use loosely.
My mother: “Ugh! I just want some!”
Me: “What?”
Her: “Tai-Chi!”
Me: “Oh! Then join the group!”
Her: “What?!”
Me: (confused) “Huh?”
Silence.
Her: “No, I just really want some Tai-Chi”
Me: “THEN JOIN IT.”
Her: “What are you talking about? It’s a tea!”
Me: “What the..?”
Her: “Oops. I meant Chai tea.”
She’s so cute sometimes. She can’t say ‘edemame’ either. She pronounces it “en-de-mam-ney”.
The reason for my initial confusion is that my mom used to be very involved in Chai tea…I mean Tai-Chi. She used to say that sometimes, when she really got going, she could feel the energy coming out of her hands, and that they’d get very warm.
That’s when I suggested she needed drugs.
Anyhow, she loved it, and it made her feel really good. It got to a point that she would just spontaneously jump into some Tai-Chi movement when she was feeling ‘the moment’.
Again. The drugs.
One time – oh, it was a while back, because I was living in London, in my own house, with a QUEEN-SIZED BED – she was visiting and having dinner with one of my sisters and my brother-in-law at my place. We started getting into a discussion about something…I’m guessing politics, religion…you know, something non-controversial. And you know, when people start talking about non-controversial stuff, different opinions start getting voiced and much discussion ensues.
So much discussion was ensuing, and opinions being given, when all of a sudden my mother jumps out of her chair and launches into a bunch of Tai-Chi poses.
Stunned silence. What do you say to that? Discussion over.
Maybe this could work in Afghanistan….
No comments:
Post a Comment