Thursday, March 24, 2016

Ducks in a Row (Or, Conversations at Work)

I've been travelling quite a bit lately for work, to the point that my poor sweet Roxy girl has started to pant and pace whenever she sees my suitcase. I've just gotten back, and she is sleeping contently on my lap.

I like the folk that I work with in SSM; in fact, there's one guy that reminds me of Truman Capote. Not in personality per se, but the look and demeanor. Others may disagree with that assessment but this guy is just funny... hilarious funny, not weird funny.

He and I and another gal were having a conversation in my cubicle this week (OH MY GOD!!! YOU'RE TALKING INSTEAD OF WORKING? QUELLE SCANDALLE!!! that's French, I think.) Yes, we chatted. for almost 30 minutes. Call the cops.

ANYHOW, in a matter of 3 minutes, we went from using hair conditioner to transvestites. I kid you not. I can't even tell you how it happened; one minute we're talking about what conditioner to use on different hair types, and the next we were talking about transvestites and those who happen to be heterosexual.

It was quite a jump. Even for me. And that's saying something.

For some reason, this strange conversation put me in mind of some other great follies, like the time I wrote an email to a manager and another colleague saying that I wanted 'all of our ducks in a row.' I didn't think anything of it until  I got an email back from said manager saying:

"I'm assuming you meant to write a "u" in there?"

After I checked, I was mortified to find out that I wrote that I wanted "all of our dicks in a row."

Holy. F*ck.

And then that reminded me of the time when I was going over intern resumes, and two of them said they were excited to join a successful "pubic relations firm." I should have forwarded their resumes to Playboy.

I know there are more examples. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment