Friday, September 6, 2013

Tales from the Trailer Park: Birthday Card Edition

It was one of my sister’s birthday’s recently, so my ma went out and bought a card. We sent some gift certificates in the card, so while ma was writing her birthday message inside along the top, I was starting to write “DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOUR BIRTHDAY” on the back of the envelope. I got to “DO NOT OPEN UNTIL…” when my ma stopped me.

Ma: Don’t put that on the envelope!

Me: Why?

Ma: Because then they’ll know there is something inside, and they’ll open it and steal it.

Me: Yes, because mail delivery is a grand conspiracy.

I ended up writing “DON’T OPEN UNTIL YOU KNOW”, which makes absolutely no sense at all, but I had to think of something.

I put my birthday message along the bottom of the card, and went to stick it in the envelope, which my ma had very carefully addressed and stamped when…

 

It didn’t fit. Ma got the wrong envelope.

So, we did the only logical thing we could think of. What? No, no…we didn’t go out to get a new envelope! It was Sunday, and ma HAD TO get it in the mail FIRST THING in the morning so it would get there IN TIME!

 

What she did was she cut the card. First along the top. Then when that didn’t work, along the bottom.

 

Then when that still didn’t work, along the top again.

 

….and along the bottom again…

 

…until that f*cker finally fit. Half of our birthday messages had been chopped at that point. So the card made no sense. But by God, ma was gonna mail it tomorrow!

 

I think my sister may have noticed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment