Monday, February 18, 2013

My Funny Valentine

A few years ago, my friend Country Girl and I ditched our respective significant others and spent a memorable Valentine's Day together.

She had won a set of tickets to a very intimate Keith Urban concert in a tiny, itty bitty venue in Toronto. Since she likes me better than her husband, she said: Dude, I won these tickets. Do you want to come with?

And since I liked her better than my then-boyfriend (and still do), of course I answered: Do dogs have lips? (hint: yes they do.)  So we spent a very romantic Valentine's Day a few inches away from Keith Urban while he sweated all over us playing guitar and flipping his hair. I think I vowed never to shower again. Eventually I had to, and it was the saddest day of my life.

So, since she still likes me better than her husband, it was no surprise when my friend decided to ditch him again this year to come up here and spend Valentine's Day with me! Ok, I may be stretching the truth there a little. I mean, seriously; if I had to chose between me and her husband, OF COURSE I would pick me! Especially if she had a bottle of Cruzan rum! YumYum!

Since my house is still in a state of, well, chaos (read: it looks like a missile hit my crooked little trailer), she ended up staying at her aunt and uncle's place.

In order to  have a repeat of the Keith Urban experience, we thought it may be best to stay a night somewhere so as not to a) destroy her aunt's house and b) get arrested for screaming "KEITH! KEITH! WHY DID YOU MARRY HEEEERRR?" all night.

So, we rented a room at a little resort near town. And we:

- Settled in our room and enjoyed some rum.
- Spent 2 hours at the Nordic (Nordique?) Spa, where we  they took us under the "Lover's 2 for 1" deal. That was awkward. But, we didn't complain. More money for wine at dinner.
- Part of the spa involves jumping into a freezing cold pool. We did this. Three times. It was f*cking cold. It was outside. In the snow. It was, like -300 out. At least it felt like it.
- Went back to our room, enjoyed some run.
- Went to dinner. A. Ma. Zing. We even got a cute little booth with curtains.
- Wine.
- Food.
- Went back to room and snuggled in front of fire. Oh, get your mind out of the gutter...we were in two separate chairs!
- Rum.
- Rum.
- Rum.

...and I don't really remember anything after that. I know we went to bed around midnight. And I know the sun the next day hurt our eyes. Ibuprofen was involved at some point. And a nap.

Thanks to my friend for a fun visit! Next time we'll party in my new bathroom.






No comments:

Post a Comment