Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Remembrance Pickles

So this morning I managed to yank out the giant pickle that was up my ass yesterday. It is always so surprising to me how much other people can affect my day.

Now, I’m a sensitive person by nature, and by sensitive I mean I can lose my shit in a matter of seconds. I’ve been working hard these past few months to try and manage my emotions…but sometimes they still manage me.

Like, for example, when that Bell commercial comes on in November. You know, the one where the grandson is in Dieppe and he calls his grandpa in Canada to say ‘thank you’? Gets me every time. Waterworks.

When I was in school, Remembrance Day was a BIG DEAL. We all wore poppies and went into the gym and had some sort of presentation. And our schoolwork would revolve around the war, and drawing poppies, and reciting ‘Flanders Field’.

But now, it seems like the whole reason of Remembrance Day has been lost. Remembrance Day should be a stat holiday – not just because I want another day off work, but because we should take the time to honour those men and women who fought (and continue to fight) so bravely so that we can have the privileges and freedom we do today. The freedom, for example, to get exceedingly drunk, egg your neighbour’s yard, knock over small children…that sort of thing.

These guys went – and are going – through things we cannot even fathom. I mean, can you imagine being in a trench in the middle of the night with hundreds of other people, wet, cold, with human waste all around you, looking into the eyes of a buddy who may or may not make it home, waiting for a call that will send you out into the middle of a field to face other men with weapons, knowing those weapons are being aimed at you, and hoping you don’t get killed?

This ain’t no video game, kids.

Get your poppy and support the veteran’s fund. Or better yet - Go hug a vet. (The soldiers, not the animal doctors).

No comments:

Post a Comment